by Miriam Hahn
Planning a backyard gathering on Labor Day and want to keep it healthy? I’ve got you covered!
Backyard barbeques often get a bad rap and can leave you with a food hangover that puts you straight on the couch.
A plant-based barbeque leaves you light on your feet and full of energy!
Have you checked out all of the plant-based meat and dairy substitutes available on the market lately? It is getting easier each day to eat plant-based with so many delicious, healthy options!
Here are some meal ideas to get your creative juices flowing. Put on your chef’s hat! Scroll through my Instagram for the recipes here, or contact me if you want a recipe emailed to you.
- Artichoke bruschetta
- Veggies with vegan ranch dip
- Hummus with marinated veggies and crackers (Recipe below)
- Guacamole and baked chips
- Grilled corn & zucchini salad
- Potato salad with vegan mayonnaise
- Blueberry arugula salad (Recipe below)
- Greek salad
- Baked fries
- Black beans (make them fresh if you have an instant pot!)
- Fruit kabobs
- Baked potatoes with salsa, black beans and corn
- Grilled plant-based burgers or brats
- Home-made veggie burgers
- Veggie kabobs
- Portobello burgers
- Chocolate mousse jars
- Dairy-free ice cream
- Fruit parfaits with dairy-free yogurt
- Frozen bananas dipped in chocolate
Hummus with Marinated Veggies and Crackers:
2 cans cannellini beans, drained
1/3 cup tahini
1 lemon (zest and juice)
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp pink salt
1. Put everything into a food processor and blend until smooth! Add water as needed to thin out if necessary.
2. You can add roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, and/or sun-dried tomatoes!
3. For veggie mixture: cucumber, grape tomatoes, Kalamata olives and dairy free feta mixed with olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano!
Arugula Blueberry Salad
3 cups arugula
1 avocado, chopped
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup peas
hemp seeds for topping
2 Tbsp each: olive oil, balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp each: Dijon, raw honey or maple syrup
1. Whisk up dressing and toss with salad ingredients!
Here’s to a healthy barbeque!
Miriam Hahn is the owner of YouCare-SelfCare a private wellness practice, specializing in plant-based lifestyle and disease prevention. She is a certified wellness coach and a graduate of the Cornell University Plant-Based Nutrition Program.
Her services include online wellness and cooking courses, virtual boot camp programs and plant-based cooking classes/ group wellness classes held in Phoenix.
Follow along on Instagram & Facebook for hundreds of plant-based recipes! https://www.instagram.com/youcare.selfcare/?hl=en