by Miriam Hahn
Planning a backyard gathering on Labor Day and want to keep it healthy? I’ve got you covered!
Backyard barbeques often get a bad rap and can leave you with a food hangover that puts you straight on the couch.
A plant-based barbeque leaves you light on your feet and full of energy!
Have you checked out all of the plant-based meat and dairy substitutes available on the market lately? It is getting easier each day to eat plant-based with so many delicious, healthy options!
- Artichoke bruschetta
- Veggies with vegan ranch dip
- Hummus with marinated veggies and crackers (Recipe below)
- Guacamole and baked chips
- Grilled corn & zucchini salad
- Potato salad with vegan mayonnaise
- Blueberry arugula salad (Recipe below)
- Greek salad
- Baked fries
- Black beans (make them fresh if you have an instant pot!)
- Fruit kabobs
- Baked potatoes with salsa, black beans and corn
- Grilled plant-based burgers or brats
- Home-made veggie burgers
- Veggie kabobs
- Portobello burgers
- Chocolate mousse jars
- Dairy-free ice cream
- Fruit parfaits with dairy-free yogurt
- Frozen bananas dipped in chocolate
Hummus with Marinated Veggies and Crackers:
2 cans cannellini beans, drained
1/3 cup tahini
1 lemon (zest and juice)
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp pink salt
1. Put everything into a food processor and blend until smooth! Add water as needed to thin out if necessary.
2. You can add roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, and/or sun-dried tomatoes!
3. For veggie mixture: cucumber, grape tomatoes, Kalamata olives and dairy free feta mixed with olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano!
Arugula Blueberry Salad
3 cups arugula
1 avocado, chopped
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup peas
hemp seeds for topping
2 Tbsp each: olive oil, balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp each: Dijon, raw honey or maple syrup
1. Whisk up dressing and toss with salad ingredients!
Here’s to a healthy barbeque!
Miriam Hahn is the owner of YouCare-SelfCare a private wellness practice, specializing in plant-based lifestyle and disease prevention. She is a certified wellness coach and a graduate of the Cornell University Plant-Based Nutrition Program.
Her services include online wellness and cooking courses, virtual boot camp programs and plant-based cooking classes/ group wellness classes held in Phoenix.
Follow along on Instagram & Facebook for hundreds of plant-based recipes! https://www.instagram.com/youcare.selfcare/?hl=en