by Miriam Hahn
We all know that the best way to eat healthy is to make it convenient. Good food choices usually don’t happen on a crazy workday when you are staring at an empty fridge!
With most of us working from home, home schooling our kids, or just living this new way, we might have gotten out of the habit of packing a lunch and we most likely aren’t stepping out for our mid-day meal.
That is where plant-based meal prep comes in. Whether you prep one day at a time, or prep for the week, spending a little time preparing your lunch will set you up for a productive afternoon.
A perfectly balanced lunch should have a mix of protein, fat and fiber. There are endless combinations that are flavorful and satisfying!
I like using glass containers with locking lids. They stack nicely in the fridge, keep items fresh, hold the right amount of food and cleanup is a breeze. There are many choices on Amazon.
Here are two ideas for next week’s lunch. Add these items to your shopping list, schedule time to prep them and get ready for a stress-less day around lunchtime!
Soba Noodle Salad
2 bundles soba noodles
1 bunch kale
1 lemon, juiced
shake of pink salt
1 cucumber, diced
1 cup shredded carrots
3 scallions, diced
1 large avocado, diced (add this right before eating)
Peanuts or slivered almonds for topping
1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp raw honey (can sub maple syrup)
1 tsp Sriracha
1/4 tsp ginger (ground)
- 1. Strip the kale and cut into slivers. Add lemon juice and pink salt. Massage with your hands until the kale begins to break down.
- 2. Cook soba noodles and rinse in cold water.
- 3. Whisk up dressing
- 4. Combine kale, veggies, dressing and soba noodles!
- 5. Distribute into glass containers and top with avocado when ready to eat.
Edamame Avo Bowl
Cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper
Grape tomatoes, halved
Avocado (add right before eating)
Hemp seeds for topping
Dairy free ranch dressing
- Drain one or two cans of garbanzo beans. Dry them well with a clean dishtowel. Spray with avocado oil spray and season with cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes at 400F, stirring halfway.
- Assemble all ingredients in glass containers and add avocado right before eating!
If you need more lunch inspiration check out my Instagram here
Miriam Hahn is the owner of YouCare-SelfCare a private wellness practice, specializing in plant-based lifestyle and disease prevention. She is a certified wellness coach and a graduate of the Cornell University Plant-Based Nutrition Program.
Her services include online wellness and cooking courses, virtual boot camp programs and plant-based cooking classes/ group wellness classes held in Phoenix.
Follow along on Instagram & Facebook for hundreds of plant-based recipes! https://www.instagram.com/youcare.selfcare/?hl=en