by Miriam Hahn
Although it is tempting to sit around with friends, drinking and eating all sorts of delicious yet unhealthy foods, it is so much more fun to make amazing appetizers that are plant-based and also incredibly tasty that keep you light on your feet!
The easiest way to plan your game day feast is to think about swapping out your typical eats with a plant- based version.
Chicken wings → Cauliflower wings (recipe below)
Cheesy bean dip → Baked bean dip (recipe below)
Pizza → Cashew cheese spinach pizza (recipe below)
Mozzarella brushetta → Artichoke bruschetta
Nacho cheese dip→ Cashew cheese dip
Cheesy spinach dip→ Healthy spinach dip
Here are a few clean eating game day recipes that will be a hit with everyone.
For more ideas check my Instagram here
- 1 head Cauliflower (medium) chopped into florets
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp each: onion powder, garlic powder, pink salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4-1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- Vegan Ranch
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Whisk together the milk, flour and spices until you get a thick batter
- Add the cauliflower and stir to coat. Dip the florets in a bowl with the breadcrumbs.
- Put on baking tray and cook 25 minutes. Turn oven off and let them sit in the hot oven for 5 more minutes.
- Let them cool a few minutes then toss with the BBQ sauce.
- Serve immediately with vegan ranch. Serves about 4-5
Air Fryer Cooking Directions
- Set air fryer to 350 and cook 20-25 minutes, shaking halfway through.
- Then toss with BBQ sauce.
Baked Bean Dip
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Mix together all of the ingredients except toppings in an oven safe dish.
- Bake at 375F covered for 30 minutes! Serve with organic chips or jicama sticks! Serves about 4-5
Cashew Cheese Spinach Dip:
- 2 pizza crusts (I used Engine 2)
- 1 cup cashews (Soak in boiling water 15 minutes)
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- Fresh basil for topping
- Preheat oven to 450 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Lay out pizza crusts.
- Put cashews, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, salt, garlic and nutritional yeast in blender and blend until smooth.
- Saute mushrooms for about 5 minutes then add in the spinach, stirring until it wilts.
- Layer cashew cheese, then spinach, mushrooms, pine nuts on to pizza crusts.
- Cook 10-15 minutes and then top with fresh basil. Drizzle pizza with vegan ranch or Cholula!
Enjoy your game day festivities!
Miriam Hahn is the owner of YouCare-SelfCare a private wellness practice, specializing in plant-based lifestyle and disease prevention. She is a certified wellness coach and a graduate of the Cornell University Plant-Based Nutrition Program.
Her services include online wellness and cooking courses, virtual boot camp programs and plant-based cooking classes/ group wellness classes held in Phoenix.
Follow along on Instagram & Facebook for hundreds of plant-based recipes! https://www.instagram.com/youcare.selfcare/?hl=en