by Miriam Hahn
As the weather cools down I often reach for a warm cup of matcha! You may know that matcha is a form of green tea, but it is special because it’s the only form of green tea in which the entire leaf is consumed (as opposed to brewed tea bags which you steep then throw out the bag with the leaves).
Ingesting the entire leaf makes it an antioxidant powerhouse, providing amazing health benefits that far exceed those of other teas or beverages.
Also exclusive to matcha is “zenergy” – the feeling of being calm yet energized and focused at the same time. It comes from the combination of caffeine and theanine found in this nutrient dense drink. Theanine is typically only found in very small amounts in most types of tea. In matcha it is much higher. Studies also show theanine is effective at reducing stress and promoting relaxation while improving attention & focus.
Here is how I make my plant-based matcha latte:
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened flax milk)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tsp matcha
- 1 tsp chaga mushroom powder (optional)
- 1 splash of maple syrup
- Heat up water and non-dairy milk.
- Add that to nutri-bullet or blender along with everything else and blend until frothy.
If you are in the mood for an energizing breakfast, you can also make a matcha smoothie bowl!
Matcha Smoothie Bowl
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2-1 cup frozen mango
- 1 tsp matcha
- Put all ingredients in blender starting with coconut milk. Blend using your tamper (blending tool). Blend until smooth. Add more coconut milk if your mixture needs more liquid.
- Top with blueberries and strawberries!
More plant-based fall recipes can be found here.
Miriam Hahn is the owner of YouCare-SelfCare a private wellness practice, specializing in plant-based lifestyle and disease prevention. She is a certified wellness coach and a graduate of the Cornell University Plant-Based Nutrition Program.
Her services include online wellness and cooking courses, virtual boot camp programs and plant-based cooking classes/ group wellness classes held in Phoenix.