by Miriam Hahn
The holidays are upon us and for most that means we get a little less structured with our routines and have less time in the kitchen. So now is the time to pull out the one-pot recipes that taste great, are quick to make, store well in the fridge and keep us full and happy!
Here are 2 of my favorites:
- 1 onion (any type), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 1 can each: black beans, kidney beans (drained)
- 2 tbsp each: chili powder, cumin
- 1 tsp each: smoked paprika, pink salt
- 1-2 cups frozen corn
- Sauté onion, garlic, pepper and jalapeño for a few minutes.
- Add everything else except corn. Bring to boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add corn and stir until it is thawed.
- Top with red onions, dairy free sour cream, avocado, crushed chips!
Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger,minced
- 3 Tbsp curry powder
- 1, 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1, 14oz can coconut milk
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- 1/2-1 tsp pink salt
- 4 cups 1/4” cubed sweet potatoes (skin on if organic)
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Cilantro or parsley for topping
- Cashews for topping
- Saute the red onion in a little avocado oil for 6-8 minutes. Then add garlic and ginger. Cook for one more minute.
- Add in the curry powder and stir to coat. Then add the tomatoes, coconut milk, lime juice, lime zest and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer and add in sweet potatoes, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- While that is cooking, cook up your rice.
- Serve with rice and fresh cilantro or parsley & cashews on top!
For more plant-base recipes click here
Miriam Hahn is the owner of YouCare-SelfCare a private wellness practice, specializing in plant-based lifestyle and disease prevention. She is a certified wellness coach and a graduate of the Cornell University Plant-Based Nutrition Program.
Her services include online wellness and cooking courses, virtual boot camp programs and plant-based cooking classes/ group wellness classes held in Phoenix.